Israel's Nature Site

Insects, Molluscs and other small life forms from Israel (by Oz Rittner)

Forums

Forum Home > Beetles forum > Capnodis tenebricosa

Dror Melamed

It is the 3rd season that I find multiple specimens of this species (probably Capnodis tenebricosa - awaiting confirmation by forum participants) at a winter pond near Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv (שלולית חורף רמת אביב, נחל נאמן).

This time I have noticed that most specimens (3 out of 4) were found on Rumex pulcher (חומעה יפה) plants (which are not so abundant and certainly there is a tendency and not arbitrary choice of this "host" plant), while one specimen was found clinging to Phragmites australis (קנה מצוי) stem.

I wonder whether this species has a tendency to exist near humid places and pond plants and whether there is any knowledge on its potential affinity to Rumex plants. Below are a few photos in sequence.

!

May 21, 2010 at 12:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dror Melamed

May 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dror Melamed

May 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dror Melamed

May 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dror Melamed

May 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

saturnids
Site Owner

Hi Dror, Thanks for the great images.

You are right, the larvae of this specie feed on different species of Rumex (the roots are the victim), but not only Rumex.

It is a widely distributed specie in the mediteraneo-asiatic area and its "dark" look makes it very different from the other

local species we have here.

I made a very nice discovery yesterday evening in the sand dunes of Holon. I will tomorrow bring it here. I promise it will

be interesting. Its about a mysterious specie: Brenskiella flavomicans Brenske, 1897 which is found mainly in the dunes 

of the central and southern coastal plain (did I say endemic as well?). The female is unknown to science and the biology 

of this specie is unknown as well.

I will continue tomorrow (I'm too tired to prepare the photos now) and open a new subject for it.

Good night for now...

May 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.