Israel's Nature Site

Insects, Molluscs and other small life forms from Israel (by Oz Rittner)

Forums

Forum Home > Beetles forum > Carabidae for ID

Amir

Size: ~15mm

Date: November 2008
Found under a shalter

--

My insects blog  http://insectour.blogspot.com/

December 12, 2008 at 7:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

saturnids
Site Owner

Hi Amir,

Sadly Carabidae are very difficult (or impossible) to ID by photos as you know. Also, its not a family I know very well besides the more spread and easy sps. I will post it to Thorsten and Jorn from Germany in hope they could tell something about this specimen.

December 13, 2008 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sebastian

Hi,

to me it looks like a Harpalus sp.

January 15, 2009 at 3:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

saturnids
Site Owner

Thank you Sebastian and wecome abroad.

January 15, 2009 at 4:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sebastian

Thanks,

very kind.

my first impression was Harpalus flavescens.

a species which is an extreme thermophil sp. specialized in open, nearly vegetation-free sandy habitats.

But i don´t know if it´s range go´s down to israel.

January 15, 2009 at 6:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

saturnids
Site Owner

Well according to the old checklist it is absent from this area BUT the checklist is old and have a lot of errors (many missing species and on the other side species that are not present at all in Israel do appear on the list). Thorsten Assmann (you probably know him by name?) is working on the local Carabidae fauna at the moment and I assume that he will publish eventually a new and updated list.  Several publications already came up (If you are interested I can send you what I have).

January 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sebastian

hey,

sorry for the delay. of course i know thorsten assmann.

i would really appreciate it, if you could send me som material.

i´m special interested in carabids, it is the group i´m working with here in germany.

greetings

January 27, 2009 at 7:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sebastian

here is a link to a good gallery site. realy good pics of a lot of coleoptera and a gallery of true bugs

http://koleopterologie.de/gallery/index.html

January 27, 2009 at 7:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kevin
I don't think Harpalus flavescens extends this far south although it is indeed similar. It is possible this could be Harpalus (Cryptophonus) fulvus which occurs in similar sand dune habitats on Cyprus. Photo available on web page of Jean-Michel Lemaire - Nice Museum of Natural History: http://web.mac.com/troglorites/iWeb/Chypre2007/Carabiques%202.html Congratulations on a great site Oz!
February 2, 2009 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

saturnids
Site Owner

Thank you Kevin and welcome to the forum.

I will check at the national collection if this specie is present in

Israel.

February 3, 2009 at 1:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kevin
According to Palaearctic catalogue, fulvus is recorded in Middle East from Israel, Syria and Iraq.....
February 8, 2009 at 2:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

saturnids
Site Owner

Great, Thank you for the info! I want to buy Vol.III of the catalog, its too expensive but for Scarabids lover I just have too..

Kevin, I recon you are more a Carabidae person. I still look for the Carabus galileus, hope to have some luck this year. I wish to make a photo of a living adult..

February 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kevin
Sure I'd like to see C. syriacus galilaeus too - it is quite a strange looking Carabus from your webpage photo. I understand from Thorsten's paper that it is rare in Israel....
February 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

saturnids
Site Owner

yes, it is very rare and not  a single specimen was seen or collected at least for 15 years. In Lebanon it is less rare but sadly I can't go there. I will search for it on Mt.Hermon this year but  it will not be the first time I do it. It is very impressive specie and in case I manage to find it I will bring it alive in hope of breeding. However as I said, even a good shot of this specie will make me very happy for a long time.

Specimens also were collected on Upper Galilee but in the last 2 years students are placing pitfall traps and no specimens was collected. I hope it is not extincted from this area yet. 

February 9, 2009 at 6:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Riccardo

Dear friends, I am a new member of this forum. Since my interest are Coleoptera Carabidae I could  not avoid telling my opinion about this photograph. I say that this specimen represents a Platyderus, probably Platyderus languidus. It is not a member of Harpalus or any Harpalinae.

If you needed identifications of Carabids I should be able to do so in several groups, but not all at all.

By the way, I wanted to add that I collected a specimen of Procerus galilaeus, fresh dead but perfect, about 15 years ago in a small cave along the road that rises on Mt. Hermon.

Best wishes.

Riccardo Sciaky

August 17, 2010 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

saturnids
Site Owner

Dear Riccardo,

Thank you for your message. How are you?

I know well about the specimen you found there (and about Eylon Orbach trying to

repeat the success). I'm very happy you joined here and will upload some nice Carabids I have

from light traps and other collectings soon...

Best regards,

Oz

August 18, 2010 at 1:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Riccardo

Dear Oz, thanks for this warm welcome. I remember well the knowledge with Eylon and unfortunately since then I became so busy that abandoned old friends and reduced seriously my entomological works. Now I am starting again and do hope that will succeed in doing some more works.

I will always be happy to try and determine for you Carabids, so post whatever you like. Send my regards (and excuses) to Eylon, please.

Best regards

Riccardo

August 19, 2010 at 4:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

saturnids
Site Owner

Hi Riccardo,

I have just talked with Eylon over the phone and he asked me to tell you

he is very excited to know you are back with Coleoptera and will be happy 

to renew your contact.

If you want his email address let me know by mail. 

Regards,

Oz

August 19, 2010 at 7:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Riccardo

Hi Oz, of course I would be glad to enter in contact again with Eylon. Do you have my e-mail address? In case i will send it to you in private.

Thanks a lot.

Riccardo

August 20, 2010 at 3:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

saturnids
Site Owner

Hi Ricardo,

I sent you a privete message with Eylon's mail.

Regards,

Oz

August 20, 2010 at 8:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.